Insights into these Shoes' Soul

Welcome to our blog! You'll get glimpses into the fabric of our lives... find out what is happening in our family, get updates on our ministry, see what makes us smile, and hear what makes us tick. We hope these insights into our souls will make you smile, keep you informed and challenge you to pray for us.







Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dawn is on the plane!!

From Dawn’s blog:

Friday, May 13

Wow!  Today was amazing.  I finished packing and cleaning my room.  I can’t believe my sophomore year is over.  It was sad and exciting at the same time.  My parents arrived just before 1 and we went to eat a quick Chinese lunch with several friends.  They surprised me with an “end of the year” present:  my visa for the trip!  Yep – it arrived!!!!

When we got home (after a 3 hour trip-ugh), we unloaded everything then my mom and I went to get our hair cut…and shopping at Wal-Mart for things I need for the trip.

So far I have about half of my support.  Gifts are coming in and it is so encouraging to read some of the notes enclosed. 

I can’t believe I leave in just 1 day!  Here’s some facts:

~It is estimated that we’ll be sharing the Gospel with over 4400 kids through our volleyball exhibition games.  What an amazing opportunity.

~We’ll be partnering with a Methodist missionary, Sue Givens, and some Christian youth from the school that she works in.

~With each volleyball “presentation”, the youth will do a skit, we’ll play volleyball, share our testimonies and the gospel will be presented.

~We’ll be in more than 6 school, working with a church and working at an orphanage.

~It’s fall, going into winter there and it’s in the same time zone as Florida.

~It’s a 24 hour trip (Ft. Myers, Miami, San Jose Costa Rica, Lima Peru then Asunción) to get there.

~Our team of 8 has been whittled down to 5 girls.  We are going to have to work even harder in the games.

~Volleyball is the 2nd favorite sport in Paraguay.  Our presentation will be given to kids of all ages, 1st grade on up to 12th.

~The trip’s leader has posted our itinerary on the trip’s blog HERE.  It’s an intensive schedule!  Pray for strength and no injuries for the team.  Pray for the kids who will hear the gospel and the ministry that’ll be doing the follow up after we are gone.

I can’t wait to experience the Paraguayan culture and try the food.  I love new cultures & different foods!

Thank you to all of you who have given so far!  And thank you for your prayers.  God is already answering prayers (my visa came in time for me to go!!!).  I’m so excited to see what God is going to do in the next 2 weeks.

I’ll do my best to post some pictures and keep you informed via this blog.  Check the team’s blog, too, for updates.

Saturday, May 14

IMG_0775I’m packed and ready to go!

1 suitcase, 50.0 lbs., 1 backpack and 1 purse.

Yes, that’s my passport and an “Indiana Jones” style journal that I found at a bookstore this afternoon.  Pretty cool, huh?

One huge praise!!  This afternoon I received word of a large gift that enables me to pay the airline portion of my costs!!  There are still a few costs to cover but I know that God will supply it.  It’s so clear that He wants me on this trip.

Pray for us as we drive to Miami tomorrow, Sunday, at 3:30 a.m.  It is going to be a very, very long day.

Another praise, the last visa was found at a closed Post Office and we were able to find someone working in the back who was willing to open and give it to us.  It was a close call!

God is already at work, making all the details fall into place in just the last 2 days.

May 15

May 15, 2011Need I say more?!


First stop, San Jose, Costa Rica,


then a long layover in Lima, Peru,


then finally Acunsion, Paraguay

……at 2:30 tomorrow morning!

No comments: