Insights into these Shoes' Soul

Welcome to our blog! You'll get glimpses into the fabric of our lives... find out what is happening in our family, get updates on our ministry, see what makes us smile, and hear what makes us tick. We hope these insights into our souls will make you smile, keep you informed and challenge you to pray for us.







Monday, April 28, 2008

To Haiti and Back Again

I’m back! My trip to Haiti went great. It was a first in 2 years for RMI. For the first time in over 2 years that RMI has driven a team from the capital, Port-au-Prince, to Cayes. Teams have flown from Port to Cayes and back, which has worked great. However, this time due to many issues, we had to drive the team to Cayes. Thankfully the Cayes road is now in much better condition. They’ve done a lot of repairs, so we arrived at a reasonable time.

Sunday a.m. services with our Haitian brothers and sisters is always a joy. I love being able to look out the windows or doors of the simple church structures and see palm trees or mango trees. There is something about that whole tropical ambiance that is awesome as I worship the Lord in that setting. It is so cool!

And the food! The main reason I go back – the fantastic Haitian food. Well, it’s not really the main reason, but it is a good one! I enjoyed the various rice dishes, the fried goat and pork, chicken in sauce, fried plaintains, bread fruit and sweet potatoes. Mmmmmmmmmmm yum! My doctor asked if I was going to lose some weight while I was gone and I told her “Nope! I like that food too much!”

The team itself was awesome. We had a great time together. They were from Trinity Bible Church in Lafayette, Louisiana. They are celebrating 18 years of relationship together! We are talking about having a great party in 2010 to celebrate their 20 years as sister churches. Should be fun. How long has your sister church relationship been going on?

What about the pain, you ask? Actually my back did fine. Thanks so much for praying for me. Your prayers and Dr. Glen’s (my chiropractor, a friend from church) gifted hands did wonders. I was very careful with my shoulder and the pain was not debilitating. I did come to the conclusion that there was something wrong inside, though.

Gary, Marilyn, Jenn and the rest of the RMI staff (Jules, Pastor Jean, Sam, etc.) took good care of the team and me. I was happy to have some time with all of them.

All in all it was a very profitable trip.

No comments: