Insights into these Shoes' Soul

Welcome to our blog! You'll get glimpses into the fabric of our lives... find out what is happening in our family, get updates on our ministry, see what makes us smile, and hear what makes us tick. We hope these insights into our souls will make you smile, keep you informed and challenge you to pray for us.







Friday, February 22, 2008

What a Card!

Our very own library!

Since being back in the States I have done something that I hadn't done for many, many years. I got a Library Card! Have you been to the Library lately? We have one not too far from our house. As I walked into the Library, it occurred to me that this is one feature that distinguishes the West from so many other nations. The free and awesome availability of information! Our library is not that big, but it is amazing how much information is available right at my finger tips.


At least 60 different magazines of all types and persuasions. Just to browse through a few of them was pretty cool. Many I didn't even know existed. All I have to do is take a little time and go there and I can enjoy everything from Reader's Digest to WoodWorking, to Christianity Today! Then there are the books. Wow, just to browse through the "new books" section was amazing. Here books selling for $15 to $25 at Sam's Club are FREE! How cool is that? I saw quite a few that I would love to read, both fiction and non-fiction. And most likely if you don't see it, they can get it for you! I already have quite a few books that I have read as a result of my browsing. One that is all about what is happening RIGHT NOW in the Middle East and it's relationship to prophecy. If you haven't read it, I would encourage you to do so. It is called "Epicenter" by Joel Rosenberg. Excellent.


Another thing we as a family enjoy, espcially on trips, are books on tape or CD. What a great way to pass the time on the road as we listen to a good book. I found out that they have dozens of great books on tape that I can get for Free! Our kids (and Deb and I) really enjoyed those times. There was a lot less fighting and "he touched me" going on!


Traveling Tip: On our trips [usually around 8000 miles] every summer, we would go to Cracker Barrel, buy a book on tape, listen to it, and then return it to another Cracker Barrel down the road within one week. It would only cost us $4 for the "rental" of the book. A great way to get down the road!


How about the kids section? Incredible place to take your kids. What a way to enlarge their perspectives beyond Playstation. Have you taken your kid to the library lately? Plan it and do it!


Unfortunately, we as a nation are not taking advantage of all that the library offers. We are stagnating in front of our TV's or computer screens. Not even the internet can compete with a good library. Why? Oh yes, you can get specific info off of the internet, but browsing through th e book stacks, or the magazine racks, etc. simply will expose you to so much more than surfing the web will. And it is free! Use that Library down the street from you!


MasterCard can get you to specific places, but the Library Card, now that will take you to the ends of the earth and beyond! And it's free!!!!!

No comments: